Donnerstag, 6. Juni 2013

"selfmade" TiBees, the F1

The easiest step is done, I bred a black bee female to a blue tiger male. The following pictures show the offspring of these two guys.
Surely, this is heterosis at it's best. Not mainly phenotypocally, but the growth rate is incredible.
At the moment they are just semi adults and stay as "visitors" in a tank with my yellow fires, I will prevent them from breeding to early and I hope they don't like the water hardness so they won't breed until I made my selection.

But, where to go from here? That's the main question now. I will try two ways. First I will pick the best male and the best two or maybe three females and breed with them, but I will also use the best male (or maybe a male which is nearly as good as the best one) to breed with snow white females (out of the original black bee line I used).

Possibly I will also cross a TiBee female back to a blue tiger male, one of the best two or three for sure.
That's what breeding is all about:
Breed the best with the best and hope for the best! I'm surely not an experienced Bee or TiBee breeder but in this case it's allways the same. You need a strong will to cull. Sure every single creature on this planet has it's own beauty, but look at mother nature: there is no progress without selection.

I will use the same way of selection I use on my guppies successfully for many years. First selection round I go in a kind of "colorblind mode" and pick the nearly adults which are best grown. At this point I already culled the small guys and the precocious males. Testosterone is antiproliferative, a precocious male will never reach a good size and this is some kind of quatitative genetic, so it needs to be culled. I had a strain of oldschool snakeskins once, during the breeding process I allways picked the late-maturing, big males. After some yearst this was genetically 
established and the males become mature with around 4 up to 5 month and a size of 2,6cm (bodysize, fins not included). For sure without "bomb feeding" and "overheating" them, just because the testosterone didn't kick in too early and they could develop harmonically.

After I picked the fittest I go for the second selection round and pick the beautiest and here it becomes more difficult. What is more important? Color or shape? We all are allways looking for the perfect one and let me tell you a thing: if he isn't there, you didn't raise enough fry ;-)
I said "he"... yeah well, picking females is kinda different. First round I pick the girls with the most perfect body shape, than I go for the color (if they have color) and than I look at the size. Look at strains from breeders who do it opposite: the girls look ugly. They often have a hunchback ore something else and sure the males have this too, just don't show it this clearly.

Whatever, I get far off the subject, here are the pics:








Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen